Isaiah 3:8
"For Jerusalem has stumbled,
and Judah has fallen,
because their speech and their deeds are against the LORD,
defying his glorious presence."
Isaiah 3:16a
"The LORD said: Because the daughters of Zion are haughty..."
God's people...doesn't that phrase just seem to ring with power? To be known as God's people, that seems like quite the declaration to me! And maybe that's what the Israelites thought too. That's how I read it at first. That the Israelites were so caught up with themselves, that they started to give themselves a pay on the back. But then I took a closer look, I think the Israelites forgot God altogether. They might have been caught up with themselves (I still think that to some degree), but I also think they began relying on themselves, on their "man-made" structures.
For example, I'm a daughter of our King, but I don't think like that very often. Pride is an issue for me. I like to think I'm the great and might one, which makes me no different than the Israelites because I too, "defy His glorious presence."
The first part of this chapter is talking about the men in the culture, then we turn to the women. The Israelite women were proud and arrogant. God's judgement on them is not something I would look forward to. The Lord takes away all pretense and outwardly attractive thing. Their beautiful adornments are replaced with basic things or nothing at all. It was a good reminder for me that the beauty I do possess is a gift from the Lord. I often try to control it with makeup, hair products, diet and exercise, etc. And while I don't think any of those things are bad, I need to remember that God gave me what I have and I should be grateful and not try to change because I don't like ____________.
No comments:
Post a Comment